Ten (or Eleven) Things to Pray on Good Friday
By Pastor Tim Chambers
- Make me understand sin in light of the cross. I don't want to evaluate it from my own senses. I want to know the hurtfulness of sin by knowing the price that was paid for it.
- Allow me to understand righteousness in light of the cross. Let me see clearly there the perfection of Jesus, that I may long to be fully clothed in him and in him alone.
- Teach me obedience through the cross of Jesus. Set his submission there before me as a standard, causing me to renounce my own will and follow his obedient example.
- Let me understand eternity in light of the cross. I want to see history as the cross reveals history. I want to see the future as the cross reveals the future.
- Make me understand service to your church in view of the cross. We each have gifts, and by those gifts we serve. But our model for service is one who gave himself to suffer for her whom he loved.
- Allow me to see people in the light of the cross. Let me know their value and determine their need by what it reveals.
- Confront arrogance and division in your church with the message and the power of the cross. Bring my pride to the cross and let it die.
- Stamp a picture of the cross upon my soul. Let the cross of Christ dominate my mind, my will, and my emotions. Touch my heart with what is revealed there.
- Capture my children's hearts with the love Jesus showed when he died for them at Calvary.
- Raise the cross above this city. Let it be a beacon to all who are weary and broken and sick of sin. Let them see the Son of Man lifted up from the earth and let them be drawn to him.
- May the love of Jesus that was demonstrated on the cross capture the affections of all the nations. Let him see the reward of his soul’s anguish and be satisfied.