Friday, July 06, 2007

The Jesus Story Book


If you have kids get this book. If you do not have kids get this book. The Jesus Storybook Bible is beautifully illustrated and wonderfully written. One the great aspects of this book is how from the beginning of Genesis through the end of Revelation it's all about Jesus. Most kids bibles are just quick highlights of all the basic stories of the bible- Sunday School compendiums- not this one. It is Christological from the start. Everything is about God's perfect plan and wonderful kindness and love. This is not a straight literal translation, it does compile books into short thematic stories, but it is not intended to be a study bible or bible verse bible. Its a Storybook, God's Storybook. Its a little long at times for my 2 year old, but she loves the pictures and having me read it to her. My 9 year old think its great reading. But here is the clincher for me- I love it. I have turned to it in my preaching and teaching. It wonderfully and insightfully summarizes the gospel. The gospel is not the ABC's of God it is the XYZ's and this gorgeous little children's tale does what so many theologians often fail at. From beginning to end it clearly articulates God's plan of creation, fall, redemption and restoration and Jesus is always the hero of the story. Buy this book today.