Friday, May 09, 2008

I Ain't Skeared

“Do not be afraid, but go on speaking and do not be silent, for I am with you, and no one will attack you to harm you, for I have many in this city who are my people.” Acts 18:9-10 “How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ” Romans 10:14-15,17

Are you loving your city with the gospel? How? Are you sharing it with your words or are you settling for the “I preach with my life” excuse? I must say I have bought into this myself. The thought of verbally sharing the gospel with a stranger is terrifying. What if they reject it? What if they reject me? But shouldn’t the greater question be what if they don’t? What if, as Jesus told Paul, he does have many people in your neighborhood, work place, your own family that are just waiting to hear the good news of God’s love and grace. What if the reason our friends were not Christians was not because they did not believe the gospel, but because I didn’t. Is the God who rescued you from death, not powerful enough to save others? Are you trusting more in him or yourself? Who’s waiting on you to love them with truth, with words? I have found in my own life that evangelism is far more about my faith than those to whom I’m sent.